Learning Computer Art & CorelDRAW
The curriculum for this course was developed as part of a hands-on training class, which taught the application of computer art and CorelDRAW for laser engraving and decorative sandblasting. The course curriculum makes the assumption that the student is starting with no prior knowledge of either CorelDRAW or computer art.
The original hands-on course was 3 full days of intensive training.
The video adaptation of the course contains 26 videos.
The course videos were developed using CorelDRAW version 12. That said, the basic concepts for computer art have not changed at all. In addition, the basic concepts demonstrated using CorelDRAW version 12 have not changed in newer versions. What has changed, is that some of the newer versions have improved tools which make a few of the procedures simpler. See the notes following some of the lesson titles. Also visit the CorelDRAW – New & Improved page.
Listed below are the pages which contain the complete video course
(For ACDRP Video Training and Premium Members, Please Click on the page name to go to the Page.)
- Lesson 1 – Introduction to Computer Art – Contains:
- Intro to Bitmap Art
- Bitmap Resolution
- Bitmap File Size
- Intro to Vector Art
- A Comparison of Bitmap Art to Vector Art
- The Bottom Line for Engraving – Bitmap vs. Vector Art
- Lesson 2 – Introduction to the CorelDRAW Workspace
- Lesson 3 – Modifying the Workspace
(Updated method introduced in CorelDRAW X7)
- Lesson 3 – Keyboard Shortcut Keys
- Lesson 5 – How to set Program Defaults
- Lesson 6 – Toolbox Tools Overview
- Lesson 7 – How CorelDRAW Draws – Nodes & Paths
- Lesson 8 – Cutting and Engraving Direction – for any vector cutting machine.
- Lesson 9 – Cutting and Engraving Sequence – for vector objects.
- Lesson 10 – Object Organization – Grouping and Combining
- Lesson 11 – Placing Text on a Curve
(Updated method introduced in CorelDRAW X3)
- Lesson 12 – PowerClip a Photo
(PowerClip tools updated in CorelDRAW X6)
- Lesson 13 – Feathering the Edge of a Photo in Corel PHOTO-PAINT
- Lesson 14 – Redraw a Logo – Includes a work-along file that can be downloaded.
- Lesson 15 – Using Alignment and Distribution tools. – Includes a work-along file for lessons 15, 16, 18, 19, & 20.
(Align & Distribution Docker was introduced in CorelDRAW version X6.4)
- Lesson 16 – Imposition Layout – (Step & Repeat)
- Lesson 17 – Creating vector offsets for cutting inlays and creating holding fixtures.
- Lesson 18 – Creating Product Templates & Holding Fixtures
(Templates were updated in CorelDRAW Version X4)
- Lesson 19 – Inserting Variable Information in Production Runs, using Layers and Pages.
- Lesson 20 – Inserting Variable Information in Production Runs, using Print Merge.
(Print Merge tools were updated in CorelDRAW version X4)
- Lesson 21 – Simple Photo Retouching in Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
Includes a jpeg picture to use with lessons 21 through 25.
- Lesson 22 – Removing a Photo’s background in Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
(Cutout Lab was upgraded in Corel PHOTO-PAINT X3)
- Lesson 23 – Adding a Background.
- Lesson 24 – How to size and shape a photo using PowerClip.
- Lesson 25 – How to halftone a photo for engraving or sandblasting, in Corel PHOTO-PAINT.
- Lesson 26 – How to print output for a tile mural. – Works for laser engraving or printing image transfers.
Includes a jpeg file to follow along with.